Wow. Giuliana Rancic really hit a nerve with some recent comments. The reality star welcomed her first child in August and is “working hard to retain my hot mom status.” The problem is that she made this vain self-assessment by putting down other moms. Fans (or should we say former fans) are angry.
On tonight’s episode of Giuliana & Bill on the Style network, Giuliana tells a friend that she didn’t want to let herself go after son Edward Duke arrived. Giuliana and husband Bill Rancic welcomed their first child via a gestational surrogate on August 29, 2012, after years of struggling with infertility. The E! News correspondent and reality star was back to work just a few short weeks later.
“I’m trying to wrap my mind around how to juggle work and a baby. I fear [that] I’m going to be one of those women that has a baby, and the next thing I know, I’m walking around all day with a side ponytail, eating chips and wearing flip-flops and not wanting to be sexy for my husband,” she tells her friend. “I don’t want the baby to be an excuse.”
Giuliana’s comments, which were filmed prior to her baby’s arrival, were posted at UsWeekly.com and readers immediately reacted. Most were offended by the star’s insensitive remarks:
- Seriously? I’m pretty sure she doesn’t have any problems losing baby weight since she used a surrogate.
- I don’t see how hard it would be to maintain when you have a nanny and no baby weight to lose.
- Sorry we can’t all have nannies, chefs and personal trainers. She’s out of touch with reality.
- I have lost what little respect I had for her. That is so insulting. She should be honored to be a mess and walk around with her hair up – she has a life that is now more important than her selfish ways.
- I know mothers who are in awesome shape because they actually play with their children!
- You didn’t gain weight, go through hours of labor, or push the baby out – not that I am at all saying that makes you any less of a mother, but the weight gain and stretch marks are the main reason why new moms have anxiety about being hot again. So, please don’t act like you have a clue how that feels, Giuliana. Just keep quiet and enjoy your precious baby.
Since Edward is in the care of a nanny during the day, Giuliana says she Bill vie for the baby’s affections after hours. “Bill and I literally fight over who will be the one to get up with him in the middle of the night,” she wrote in a TODAY Show blog posted in September “We both just want to be with him all the time and not miss anything!”
Giuliana & Bill airs tonight at 8 p.m. (EST) on STYLE.
Tell us what you think about Giuliana’s comments?